April 27, 2011

I Am, Who I Am

I am
  who I am.
My life is not
  always pretty.
But in the end
  it seems to always
  fall into place.
I am more
  then what you see.
I am the roundhead
  in the square hole.
I am the one
  who sees things
  differently.
I am
  who I am.

I find myself
  trying to live up to
  everyone’s expectations.
While forgetting about
  my own.
I dream only of becoming
  a teacher.
To help others understand
  school is more then the learning
  it’s the growing of becoming
  who they are.
I am
  who I am.

I hide in the many books
  I read.
To get away from
  the troubles
  of everyday life.
Reading is more
  then my passion
  it’s my
  escape.
I am
  who I am.

I volunteer because
  I know there are people
  that are more damaged
  then I.
To lend a hand
  when they are drowning
  in their own well of troubles.
It gives me
  a sense of worth.
I am
  who I am.

I am proud of
  my Chicano heritage.
I know what my great-grandparents
  had to do
  to get this freedom.
I am
  who I am.

Faith is my rope
  tied to the tree.
When I start to roam to far
  I am pulled back
  into the arms
  of my Savior.
I am
  who I am.

I have learned
  that to kiss the past goodbye
  I have to take the good
  with the bad.
Got to love what I have
  and remember what I had.
Learn from my many
  mistakes
  but never
  regret.
I am
  who I am.

I am the girl
  who tries to hold onto
  everything she is.
The daughter
  sister
  niece
  cousin
  friend
  and student.
But most of all
  I try to just be
  me.
I am
  who I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment