May 27, 2011

Dare to Believe


So forget about who was wrong,

Cause I've never been more ready

to turn this page.
          
If you swear you believe in life,

Embrace forgiveness.

Cause it's all that I'm asking,

Or keep holding out...
                                 - Dare to Believe


Boyce Avenue wrote “Dare to Believe,” and I have totally fallen in love with it. I have been a fan of Boyce Avenue on youtube.com for awhile now, but when they posted that song…. I needed those words more at that time then any before.

A couple years ago I went on this fantastic vacation, all paid between my grandmother and dad. Went to D.C., visited Gallaudet University (one of my dreams to attend there), Gettysburg and spent time in North Carolina with family. Unfortunately, with miscommunication and anger, my grandmothers and I’s relationship deteriorated on that trip. We’ve both said things we wished we didn’t, and because we are both so stubborn, we let that manifest into something bigger than what it should have ever been.  
And then Boyce Avenue posted a new song called “Daring to Believe.” I remember listening to it once, and thinking it was a nice song. And then I actually paid attention to the lyrics and was wowed!

We been in the dark for way too long,
But when we turn around we see light shine through the haze,
So forget about who was wrong,
'Cause I've never been more ready to turn this page.

If you swear you believe in life,
Embrace forgiveness 'cause it’s all that I’m askin',
Or keep holding out while the innocent die.

 After a couple years of stubbornness on “who was wrong,” and the want for an apology, I became “ready to turn this page.” So I called her. After months of no communication, I just jumped in and started talking about what I’ve been doing since we last spoke. It was awkward, and I never really received an apology, but I forgave her. Will I ever forget what she said to me? No. But forgiving doesn’t mean forgetting.  Our relationship will never be what it once was, but at the end of the day, forgiveness was embraced.

No comments:

Post a Comment